Saturday, June 27, 2020

Poland Coronavirus Update

My friend from New Mexico, Evan, is supposed to be visiting in three weeks. Mom and Dad weren't able to visit in June so I have been very much anticipating hosting her as our first international visitor. Well, we're still holding out hope, but I think I'll be planning an alternative vacation again soon.

We won't officially know the EU's stand on allowing American travelers until July 1, but it's unlikely to happen. And why would they? From the weekly reports from Mom and the regular Facebook updates from Washington friends, it's obvious to me (and clearly the rest of the world) that the US is a mess. Assuming the US is on the travel ban list there could be a chance that decision would be revised in mid-July, but even that is unlikely. It would be stupid for the EU to even consider allowing American visitors in the near future. The most telling graph I've seen recently was sourced from John Hopkins University:

Poland, specifically, has kept a linear trajectory for the past three months, keeping at around 300 cases a day. Since early May, the daily recoveries have more-or-less matched the daily new-case confirmations. Everyday I check the graphs to verify that we haven't spiked, and even though the data doesn't show anything, I'm having a hard time maintaining confidence that we won't be seeing a new spike.


Ever since Corpus Cristi (June 11), everything seems to be going back to normal, too normal. I'm taking my cues from everyone else, so I've been seeing friends weekly, going out to bars and restaurants, and my mask only comes our for grocery shopping trips. I feel hypocritical because I scoff at all of the other people who are out and about, yet I keep voluntarily going out to join them. Each excursion out gives me a thrill, both from the joy of socializing with new people but also because I feel like I am doing something naughty. 

Dolne Młyny, the tobacco factory-turned-nightlife center, has always been the epicenter for young university-types to meet up for food, drinks, and dancing. (I really recommend clicking on that link to see better pictures because mine will not do it justice!) Somehow I've managed to find myself there twice in the last month and if I didn't know any better I wouldn't have realized we were in a pandemic. Groups of a dozen people cram around one small cocktail table or drink a beer from one of the pub trucks while waiting in line for a seat at one of the many restaurants. 

I hate myself for it, but both times I've been one of those people. Yet, I still ruffle my feathers at the thought of meeting live for a Toastmasters meeting or when I see a server wearing their mask below their nose. I know I am a hypocrite and am selfish, but I want everything to go my way, where I get to have my socialite fun but everyone else has to be safe about it. And I especially want the EU to open their boarders for my friends, but not for any of those non-mask wearing Americans. C'est la vie...or in Polish take jest życie!

Having beers at Hala Główna (some of the best beers I've had in Krakow)

Trying to avoid crowds outside of Międzymiastowa, where we had dinner. 

My cocktail at dinner was called UNICORNS! (yes, with the explanation mark). I was so embarrassed as the waitress brought it out to the table. 


Meeting a friend for lody at a cafe in Oldtown. 

Work is the one thing that has not changed back in any way. I'm still working from home 100% of the time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment